Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Abertillery goes East

Basingstoke Dojo 09.09.05

Anyone who follows my exploits of getting lost going to Aikido events, will be quite surprised that I drove straight to Basingstoke without any problems. (For a change!) After meeting so many people on the Abbe Sensei course in May, I wanted to find out more about the direct line of Aikido. I had made arrangements through Sensei Ellis to attend Sensei Eastman's Dojo.

The Aikido we practise in Abertillery is second generation, or technically third generation from the original teachings of Abbe Sensei. My Sensei trained under Ken Williams in Ton Pentre, (South Wales) from 1967 - 1973. I knew there were great differences between the Aikido we practised, and the original form learn't directly from Abbe Sensei. So, I wanted to find out more, and simply to enjoy a practice with the new people I had met.

Sensei Ellis gave us detailed explanations of the style of Abbe Sensei's Aikido, and also demonstrated the small, close body movements which were taught in the 1950's. Sensei Eastman then continued to expand on this theme.

Ian & I really enjoyed the practise. Ian is one of my 6th Kyu's, who also travelled up with me. We would like to express our thanks to everyone who made us feel very welcome. Everyone spent a lot of their time and patients helping us. We walked away with a lot to think about! I would like to thank Sensei Ellis, and Sensei Eastman for allowing us to train, and for giving us an insight on real Traditional Aikido. I hope this will be the first of many trips, and very much look forward to the next time.

Nigel

2 Comments:

Blogger Al said...

If Nigel goes further enough east, he could practice at the Texas Dojo of the ESTA.

12:09 AM  
Blogger Joe said...

be quicker if he went west..glad to hear it was a good time. can't wait for the opportunity myself

8:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home